Here are some tips that will be helpful in preventing Identity Theft.
- Keep your personal and financial information in a secure place in your home.
- Shred financial documents, credit card offers, and other paperwork that you do not need.
- Every month carefully check your credit card statements for any unusual charges.
- Clarify the need when you are asked for your Social Security number. Ask if you can use an alternate identifier instead.
- Use only secure websites when submitting personal information. A secure website’s address will begin with “https”.
- Store your computer user name and passwords in a safe place in your home.
- Do not give out personal information over the phone, internet or through the mail unless you have initiated the contact.